Join me and Christopher Harrison (@geektrainer) for a free, full day online training event on Developing ASP.NET MVC4 Web Applications! There’s still space available, so register now.
Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA) runs great, high quality live training events. Earlier this year, I had the opportunity to participate in the Building Web Apps with ASP.NET Jump Start with Scott Hanselman and Damian Edwards. For that event, we overviewed the Microsoft web platform, including a lot of new and preview features.
For this upcoming event, we’re going to be sticking closer to the curriculum for the Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Applications certification exam (70-486) curriculum. Christopher is a full time, professional instructor (MCT, MCPD, MCITP) who’s helped people prepare for this exam, and we’re going to be basing the Jump Start content on what you’d learn in a 70-486 certification course.
Here’s an overview of what we’re planning to cover:
- Overview of MVC
- What is MVC?
- How is MVC different from Web Forms?
- Why use MVC?
- Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Controllers and Models
- Creating Controllers
- Adding Actions
- Creating MVC Models
- Working with Code First
- Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Views
- Razor Syntax
- HTML Helpers
- Partial Views
- Implementing Web APIs
- Developing Web API Controllers
- Calling HTTP Services from Client-Side Code
- Deploying ASP.NET MVC Site Walkthrough
- Creating a site on Windows Azure Web Sites
- Deploying an ASP.NET MVC Application with Visual Studio Web Deploy
- What’s Next and Resources
- Sneak peak at Visual Studio 2013 (Preview) and ASP.NET MVC 5 tooling
- A look at real-time communications with SignalR
- Resources for keeping up with new ASP.NET releases
Note that this is a Jump Start to help you get started preparing for the certification exam, but with a one day event we’re only covering a portion of the content that’s on the exam. Don’t expect to watch this and breeze through the exam… but it’s a start.
And if you’re just new to ASP.NET MVC and want a full day (free!) day of training, this is a great opportunity. We’re working off some of the certification content, but you don’t need to be working towards the certification to take or benefit from the class.
To get you warmed up for it, here’s the one hour introduction to ASP.NET MVC 4 from the Building Web Apps with ASP.NET Jump Start this past February.